Always look for an alternate solution

For last three weeks, I have started a new experiment with my  younger one.

Since she is the youngest and just seven year old. She used to often get upset , throw tantrums , get angry and refused to do her home work and any other things she needs to follow on daily basis.

Till few weeks ago, on some days I would really find it difficult to control her behavior and also ensure that she completes her studies and other assignments.

My only solution in such scenarios -  I used to stop talking to her or giving her any response. This would generally control her and then she would say sorry and we used resume the activity we were doing.. I used to get things done but  never on a happy note



One day I just felt why should I use a threatening technique to control her behavior  She is a 7 year old child. How can I expect her to be at her best behavior all the time. And how can I deprive her from mother's affection and love even for 3-5 minutes.

It lead me into thinking of a better way of doing it.

Did I find it ... you bet I did.

Whenever she would throw tantrum or get upset with us, I started copying her. If she would lie on floor , I would follow. If she goes to other room I would follow her. If she is sitting with crossed leg and head down, I would do that.If she goes and hides behind the curtain, I would do the same. Basically I started imitating everything she would do when she was upset.




The result was that after three -four such actions, she would give a little smile. She treated at it as a game between mumma and her. The smile would be followed with a big hearty laugh. I would then tell her why we need to do the task in hand right away and she would comply without any fuss..

It made my days so blissful. Earlier getting her to do her homework would at times just drain my energy and patience, and would seem such a daunting task. But this wonderful workaround left both of us happy. There were no arguments, no shouting... everything just fell into place so easily.

All it needed was a change of approach from my end.

My daughter is still the same , a little kid who is just having fun. I have changed and am happy with the change.

Note : It's been two months since I started this practice. It still works. Now there are rare occasions when this does not work, and that much I can manage.

No comments:

Post a Comment