My take on using shape lacing kit

My friend asked me to suggest some toy for her 3 year old to keep her engaged during their flight to US.

She said I don't want to carry to many toys, give me something that can be used in many creative ways.

For my kids, I always use to carry a small bag full of small plastic animals and bird, a soft toy and a set of pencils, erasers, colors and papers, a set of match play cards etc. So I always had a bag full of toys and other stuff just for keeping my kids occupied during the flight.

When I saw this lacing kit while searching options for my friend, I just felt why I never searched market for such supplies when my kids were toddlers. It can be used to create so many activities.


Here is what I am talking about 





Looks plain simple lacing kits, isn't it.

All you can do is run a lace the through the holes in shape and work on your motor skills.



or loop a set of shapes through single lace.



There is more my dear friends. And here come the photo listing......

Mikado with Little Ones


Play with Numbers

One little two little three little toys

four little five little six little toys

.....

Play sorting game 

1) Start with color sorting. Stack same color toys in one group.



2) Next come shape sorting. Pick similar shapes objects and keep them together.



3)  Segregate Animals, Fruits into two groups.{if you are lucky you might get one more category "vehicles" in your pack, we did not get that)



Concept of More and Less: 

Arrange red color shapes in one row, yellow in second and green in third and so on.






Questions for kid

Which color row has more shapes?

Which color has less?

How do you decide what is more what is less?


Now ask your child to arrange these in a order so that colors that have less shapes are on top and color that have most shapes is at bottom of pyramid.

Here in a simple way we are introducing ascending and descending order .

Remove few shapes from the bottom row so that it has least shape.

Ask your kid to rearrange it.

Even a  simple toy can be used to learn several concepts.


Stencil for drawing:

Pick a shape and draw an outline with pencil or sketch pen. Let your child follow this method to trace all objects. They will not trace the perfect shapes. You need to appreciate their effort all the time, that's how you inculcate learning and a habit of trying out things.







Always remind yourself of the age difference between you and your little one. He/she can not demonstrate  your level of dexterity. It took you so many years to draw that perfect circle... allow your child time to master a skill before expecting perfection.


What is heavy and light?

Take two laces, in one put at-least 7-8 shapes and in second put 2-4 shapes. Tie the two ends of laces to make a garland of shapes.

Let your child pick one garland and then the other one by one.

Ask if he/she finds any difference while picking up the garlands.

Now let them pick both together in two hands and ask them to compare what they feel.




No comments:

Post a Comment