Float a Boat

Today we set out to make a boat.

My daughter wants to do everything herself, which is true with most of the children. Initially as a mother I used to interrupt while she would cut, paste things or assemble some things together.

But soon I realized that I have to let her do things independently, all I must do is just arrange resources for her.

So for this activity, I cut the foam shapes and kept them ready for her to use. She would need two way tapes strips and a long barbecue skewers (about 12"). And a card paper cut into big triangle for the sail.

And here is how it went.


She started with this 







She was super excited to build this model that actually floats. 

With me around there has to be some concept learning from any craft activity. So we did some queries.

1) What if I put a stone on boat?

2) How about a cup?

3) Put few pencils on the boat. pencil will be longer than the boat. Will the boat still sail.

4) Remove the cover from sink hole, it will create a small whirlpool? Whats the effect on boat?

So for few days, there was a mini learning session happening at home, where my little one was teaching her friends about buoyancy and density without technically discussing the term. 

And I was super happy.




No comments:

Post a Comment